Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Prospecting Simple Gems

One must never forget about the simple gems obtained when prospecting old ore. There can be lots of gold to be made if ore is cheap. Many of the simple gems are "walls" (must be used) when leveling some professions. Lots of players use sites like WoW-Professions when leveling their professions. Take advantage of this by controlling the simple gems market. Below are some gems I can think of off the top of my head to keep an eye for...

**Note**
    The gems are listed under the highest % prospect rate ore, you will still have low chances to get these simple gems from other types of ore that it's not listed under.

Tin Ore (Skill Level 50 to Prospect)

[Moss Agate] - (Engineering & Jewelcrafting)
    [Shadowgem] - (Jewelcrafting)

Iron Ore & Mithril Ore (Skill Level 125 & 175 to Prospect)

[Citrine] - (Jewelcrafting)

Mithril Ore (Skill Level 175 to Prospect)

[Star Ruby] - (Jewelcrafting & Blacksmithing)

Thorium Ore (Skill Level 250 to Prospect)

[Huge Emerald] - (Jewelcrafting)
    [Large Opal] - (Jewelcrafting)
    [Azerothian Diamond] - (Jewelcrafting)
    [Blue Sapphire] - (Jewelcrafting)

Here are some examples of sales...

(These are stacks of 20, 10-25g each)

If you don't have a Jewelcrafter for prospecting, you can always check to see if these gems are cheap to flip them for a higher price.

xRaenboe did an amazing job going into more detail with the simple gem market and previous gems you get from prospecting down below. Check her out over at her blog.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, just going to expand a bit on the simple gem market for those who are confused or would like some more info!

Video if you are lazy, otherwise read on!

The simple gem market is what it says on the tin, it's selling gems that aren't from current content. These gems are always in demand by those leveling jewelcrafting, so a lot of them get sold per week.. for much less than they are worth. Which is where you come in! Time to hike up the price, buyout that cheap ore and make some profit! But first..

THE PRICES YOU SEE ON THIS THREAD ARE GUIDELINES. THEY MAY OR MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR REALM. I HAVE BEEN LUCKY WITH SALES ON A BUSY SERVER, SO I CAN AFFORD ORE AT HIGHER PRICES THAN LISTED HERE. YOU MAY NOT BE AS LUCKY.. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! NO QQ AT ME !

How do I make money with the simple gem market?
    1. Buy or farm low level (pre Mists of Pandaria) ore.
    2. Prospect it.
    3. Sell the gems!
    4. ????
    5. Profit!!!

What is so great about the simple gem market?
    1. You can do it from as low level 5! (with 50 Jewelcrafting)
    2. You can double, or even triple your money.
    3. You don't even have to leave your city (if you buy the ore).
    4. Your gems will always have a demand.
    5. Minimal effort required!

What do I need to get started? - If you are planning to flip gems you can skip this list.
    1. Level 50 or above Jewelcrafting.
    2. A bit of knowledge about what gems are needed to level JC. ----> Click here for a list. <----
    3. Check the data for your realm to see what is the most profitable. ----> Click here for a list. <----
    4. A source of ore, the more, the better!
    5. The patience to prospect (I recommend getting TSM_destroy).
    6. Something to pass the time; tv/music/videos/Elvinesstream etc.
    7. The ability to use an auction house (I recommend getting TSM_auctioning).

(Stacks of 5 Huge Emerald - That's almost 35G each!)

<< Hints & Tips >>
    1. If you do not have a small amount of patience, do not try this market. Gems don't sell instantly! It can take a few days.
    2. I recommend selling gems in stacks of 5 or 10, I personally sell ten stacks of 5 at any time.
    3. Selling in stacks of 20 can scare buyers off because of the high prices. Which is why I sell in stacks of 5.. it's neat and looks cheaper.
    4. Don't be afraid to buyout cheap gems, flipping can be very profitable.
    5. Vendor most blue gems (with forest emerald/inferno ruby being the exceptions) as they rarely sell unless you are on a twink realm.
    6. Start with one ore and work your way up, so you can see what sells.
    7. You can ignore players selling for example 3 stacks of 1 gem, buyers will need more than that and will more than likely go straight for your bigger auctions.
    8. DO NOT SELL IN STACKS OF 1 AMFG it makes buyers mad, especially if they need 60 gems.
    9. If you are getting into this business, try flipping [Black Diamond] & [Eternal Earth] too! They both sell for 20-50g each to JC levelers.

(All stacks of 5 except for the Mercurial Adamantite which is only 1).

Below I am listing the common gems that drop from each ore. You do have a small chance of getting a few gems from the next ore up (EG thorium gems from mithril ore), each time you prospect ore, however I will not be listing them for this guide.

So i'm listing the ore type, what I rate the ore /5, the MAXIMUM I would recommend paying for it plus my views. Followed by the common gems it drops, how much they can sell for on the average realm and my own views.

<< Vanilla >>

Great for new players, or those that have little money.

[Copper Ore] - Rating 1/5 - RRP 10g/stack - Not the most valuable gems, I tend to avoid it.
    -[Malachite] - 0.5g-5g - Drops very often from low level instances, so you'll always be undercut by low levels leveling.
    -[Tigerseye] - 0.5g-5g - Drops very often from low level instances, so you'll always be undercut by low levels leveling.
    -[Shadowgem] - 1g-10g - Drops fairly often from low level instances, but you need 60 to level, so great money! Great to flip.

[Tin Ore] - Rating 3.5/5 - RRP 25g/stack -Great for a beginner, can easily double your money if the prices are right.
    -[Shadowgem] - 1g-10g - Drops fairly often from low level instances, but you need 60 to level, so great money! Great to flip.
    -[Lesser Moonstone] - 0.5g-2g - Will sell better on Horde side, but often cheap and worthless.
    -[Moss Agate] - 5g-30g - An amazing gem to sell, I often flip it if there's any going cheap.

[Iron Ore] - Rating 2/5 - RRP 10g/stack - Not the most valuable gems, I tend to avoid it.
    -[Citrine] - 5g-20g - Not a bad gem, it's hard to sell it for a lot though.
    -[Jade] - 0.5g-8g - Rarely used for anything. You can try making jewellery to sell.
    -[Lesser Moonstone] - 0.5g-2g - Will sell better on Horde side, but often cheap and worthless.

[Mithril Ore] - Rating 2/5 - RRP 20g/stack - Not the most valuable gems, I tend to avoid it.
    -[Citrine] - 5g-20g - Not a bad gem, it's hard to sell it for a lot though.
    -[Aquamarine] - 0.5g-10g - Barely need any to level JC, so don't try to flip it.
    -[Star Ruby] - 2g-15g - Barely need any to level JC so I wouldn't recommend flipping it.

[Thorium Ore] - Rating 3.5/5 - RRP 40g/stack - A great ore to buy, offers a variety of expensive gems! Farming it is great too, because of the [Arcane Crystal] you can find in nodes.
    -[Huge Emerald] - 10g-30g - One of the best vanilla gems to sell, it flies off the shelves! Great to flip!
    -[Azerothian Diamond] - 10g-20g - Also a great gem to sell, however not much is needed to level JC so be careful.
    -[Large Opal] - 10g-25g - Almost as good as [Huge Emerald] but not quite there, still pretty alright to flip!
    -[Blue Sapphire] - 2g-10g - An unsurprisingly disappointing gem to end thorium, be wary as it's demand is very low.

<< Burning Crusade >>

If you have a bit more money to spend this is good.

[Fel Iron Ore] - Rating 2/5 - RRP 40-50g/stack - Unless it's pretty cheap I won't buy it, adamantite is much much better.
    [Adamantite Ore] - Rating 4.5/5 - RRP 100g/stack - I LOVE THIS ORE SO MUCH OMG! The dust you get from each prospect = <3 <3 <3
    - [Adamantite Powder] - 20g-50g - Practically pays for your ore itself. Big demand, you can make half of it into [Mercurial Adamantite] which sells just as well @ 100-200g.
    - [Flame Spessarite] - 5-15g - The worse gem to get.. it just never seems to sell as well or for as much.
    - [Golden Draenite] - 10g-50g - IMO the best gem to get, as it is also needed to craft [Flying Carpet]. Good to flip.
    - [Azure Moonstone] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Blood Garnet] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Deep Peridot] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Shadow Draenite] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!

(LOOK AT THAT ADAMANTITE GOOOOOOO!!)

<< Wrath of the Lich King >>

Once you have mastered the previous two expansions..

[Cobalt Ore] - Rating 4/5 - 70g-80g/stack - Better for the green gems, as the blue gems are pretty useless except for [Shadow Draenite].
    [Saronite Ore] - Rating 3.5/5 - 50-60g/stack - Still good if it's cheap, but I prefer cobalt ore.
    [Titanium Ore] - Rating ?/5 - ??g - I have NO idea how titanium works because I never find enough at a good price.
    - [Titanium Powder] - ??? - This could sell well to those who need the dust for learning WoTLK gems, any info on sales is appreciated.
    - [Forest Emerald] - 20g-50g - The only blue gem worth keeping in my opinion, can vendor the rest. This sells well.
    - [Chalcedony] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Huge Citrine] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Shadow Crystal] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Bloodstone] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Dark Jade] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Sun Crystal] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!

(I was very lucky to sell for 50g each to desperate players, this will not always be the case).

Cataclysm

Cover all 4 expansions.. when the hell not!

[Obsidium Ore] - Rating 3.5/5 - 50-60g/stack - Best source of green gems for cataclysm, pretty good stuff if cheap.
    [Elementium Ore] - Rating 3/5 - 40-50g/stack - I prefer obsidium over this, but it's still good if cheap.
    [Pyrite Ore] - Rating 3/5 - 30-40g/stack - I only buy this is it's really cheap, still good though.
    - [Volatile Earth] - 0.5g-10g - Comes from pyrite ore, not worth much but can be worthy to flip if there is not much on your realm.
    - [Inferno Ruby] - 5g-50g - Can sell well if people need it to craft items or twink gems but otherwise.. it's risky.
    - [Zephyrite] - 0g - Just vendor it, it doesn't sell.. it's useless, waste of listing money.
    - [Nightstone] - 15g-40g - The best gem to get I think, it always sells well. Good to flip.
    - [Carnelian] - 15g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Hessonite] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Jasper] - 10g-30g - Good gem to get, always sells well and good to flip!
    - [Alicite] - 10g-20g - OK gem to get, sells well and good to flip but doesn't sell for that much.

Hope this helps you guys out, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    (I was very lucky to sell for 50g each to desperate players, this will not always be the case).
    Last edited by xRaenboe; 06-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.

You're lucky, these are around 10g on my server.

10g for stacks of ore I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Elvine View Post
    10g for stacks of ore I assume?
    10g for one of those gems you linked, atleast last time I checked.

That's good! Just have to find cheap ore to prospect.

I just did some prospecting of Mithril and Tin ore.. Kinda bombed out on the Mithril, but did pretty good on the tin! I spent 56g on 4 stacks of tin, and in return got these gems, selling for these prices on my server. (Arygos, Alliance)

3 Lesser Moonstones selling at 16s each.
    10 Moss Agates, selling at 15g each
    6 Shadowgems, selling at 1g68s each.

So over all I made a profit of 104g! Not bad for 3 minutes of work!

500g for a huge emerald.....
    Vas - Darksorrow

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Colaax View Post
    500g for a huge emerald.....
    Nope, it's for a stack. Reading is hard

(These are stacks of 20, 10-25g each)

Quote Originally Posted by elvine View Post
    nope, it's for a stack. Reading is hard
    reading is for rich people!!!

agate.jpg

Decent price on Agates ? ;D